VisIt Getting Started Manual (267 K pdf)
introduces you to the VisIt graphical user interface (GUI). It provides
a brief overview on how VisIt works and directions on how to start
VisIt and use the various controls in the Visit main and popup windows.
- VisIt User's Manual (15.8 MB pdf)—This document
describes how to use the VisIt Graphical User Interface (GUI). It
covers in detail all the controls available from the VisIt GUI,
including such topics as working with files, plots, operators, saving
and printing, visualization windows, quantitative analysis, making it
pretty, animation and keyframing, interactive tools, multiple databases
and windows, and remote visualization.
- VisIt Python Interface Manual (3.6 MB pdf)—This document
describes how to use the VisIt Python Interface. It covers in detail
all of the functions and objects provide by the VisIt Python Interface
and also gives some background on scripting with Python and common
patterns that can be used when creating scripts for VisIt.
- Getting Data Into VisIt (3.61 MB pdf) Example source code (50 KB tar.gz)—This document
describes how to get data into VisIt using three different approaches:
(1) writing data files that VisIt can read, (2) creating a database
reader plug-in, and (3) instrumenting a simulation code to talk directly
to VisIt so no files need to be written. This manual covers in detail
most aspects of the three approaches to getting data into VisIt and also
provides complete working source code examples.
Class and Tutorial Materials
- Visualization with VisIt Class Data (181 MB zip)—This zip file
contains the data files used in the Visualization with VisIt class.
These data files are used extensively in the class so you should
download this data file if you plan to work through exercises.
- Visualization with VisIt Class Slides (78 MB pdf)—This document contains the slides which make up the bulk of the LLNL class Visualization with VisIt.
- Visualization with VisIt Class Exercises (17.3 Mb pdf)—This document contains most of the exercises used in the LLNL class Visualization with VisIt.
- Visualization with VisIt Class Slides II (6.6 MB pdf)—This document
contains the slides for 4 additional sections of the Visualization with
VisIt, covering advanced topics such as Python scripting and data
- Visualization with VisIt Class Exercises II (2.8 Mb pdf)—This document contains advanced exercises used in the LLNL class Visualization with VisIt.
- VisIt Tutorial—This tutorial
has been given at the SciDAC 2008 Conference in Seattle, WA and also at
the CScADS Workshop in Snowbird, Utah. The idea is to provide a quick
introduction to many features in VisIt.